Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Autosport Car Show

There were cars there too.
So after a big night in town for Az’s leaving drinks we were up at 7:30 for the drive to Birmingham, home of the industrial revolution & England’s biggest Muslim population. Do I want to make an Abaya using a Victorian cotton loom? No Chris, Nick & I are off to ‘THE RACING CAR SHOW’! This is not your average motor show where you get to see Hyundai’s new hybrid, powered by yesterdays weet-bix & sparrows farts. No this is the show where people scoff if the car uses fuel bought from a normal petrol station. As the toolman would say ‘aw aw aw awwwww’.
Before I get into the cars I’ve got to mention the size of the National Exhibition Centre (The NEC for those in the know)…basically it’s massive…There that’s done.
I also have a tip for those novices out there, if you have been out drinking all of the night before then its best not to jump straight into a rally car simulator. I’ll say no more. Now the cars…If it goes from A to B as fast as possible then it was there. Each team from last years F1 had sent a car,About 40 old F1 cars including Senna & Prost’s 88 McLaren & the 73 John Player Special (Which I think most old wooden F1 toys were modeled on), rally cars (The new WRC & Evo), a couple of Nascars & pretty much everything in-between. There were even RC cars, slot cars & 20cm gas powered drag cars.
There was also the 200mph Supercar club with your Enzos & Ford GT, but the prize goes to the Ascari KZ1.Once we had had our fill of stationary cars it was off to the Live action Arena to see Go-Karts, Off Roaders, The winners of last years GT Series, more rally cars & much much more. It was only 50min long but it was inside so by the end of it the noise & fumes were having an affect, so I wanted to stay a little longer (he he).
As some of you know one of my goals for when\if I settle down, is to get into karting so I can get my ass whipped on the track by the next 10 year old snotty nosed Scott Dixon. Well that dream is dead… it’s now all about Autograss. They’re still fairly cheep…ish & I can still build them myself (There may be a few bits left over) but you can take them to a lot more tracks…or just along a beach.I other news I’m moving into the Willesden Green flat permanently & the job hunt is going well…ish.
Till next time
Rodis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home