Thursday, November 17, 2005

The National Gallery

OK so after 2 days of staying home & looking for work I needed to get out & have a look around. Which reminds me, I realized yesterday that I had put the wrong mobile number in my CV & had to re-apply for a whole bunch of jobs yesterday. I only made myself look like an idiot to about 30 employees. Still better they find out now than a couple weeks down the track ah?
So off to the National Gallery.
Short version... Parh!!!
Long version...I’ll go to the Tate Modern next because the old crap DOES NOT turn me on.
Don’t get me wrong, they are called ‘The Masters’ for a reason & I realize that if they wanted to get paid they didn’t have much choice as to their subject matter but man does it get boring quick.
Sorry but pictures of some white, over feed religious figure stabbing something or suffering, quite often shows a complete lack of imagination. When you see them all in one gallery you realize that there seems to be only about 4 set arrangements allowed for this type of painting. On the flip side, I bet those halos all the saints had made scroll reading at night heaps easier.
Then there is all the painting of some self-righteous Lord, Lady, Bishop or Pope. These just make me queasy. Someone should have told them to pull their head in. I’m not taking the piss out of these people for getting their picture painted (God knows there are enough pictures of me kicking about). It’s all those angels blowing trumpets in the background that turns my stomach.
There are some good points though, when occasionally one of these great painters were allowed to paint landscapes (Why waste an amazing piece of earth by putting some fool in front of it?) they do some amazing work. As I just pointed out have a look at the background in some of the portraits, at times the detail can blow your mind.
Also the old ‘oil on oak’ style that can look almost 3D is very cool. Then there is another style that’s kind of like a pencil/sepia look. Which they didn’t have any postcards of…typical! No one ever likes the stuff I like!!
Another thing, remember to look up every now & then, the actual gallery building is pretty funky at times in an ‘older than new Zealand’ kind of way.
Finally, IT’S FREE!!! I think the attendant though I was strange standing there laughing, thinking of that Simpson’s where Homer takes Lisa to the Museum “You mean I don’t have to pay…Suckers!” (Don’t worry Mum I did put in a donation)
So 1 gallery down only about 100 left to go, plus I have to pop over the Queenie’s sooner or latter & she says she has a pretty good collection. (Something about some famous relatives or something)
Till next time
Rodis out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home